April 14, 2010

Oh history, how I love you.



On Tuesday a while ago Franklin and I both had the day off for some odd reason. However, we both decided to run around and go shopping and have fun and of course we went to one of our favorite stores Bookman’s. We went in there and I asked these two men about mid twenties where they kept the federalist papers.(history, political science, ect?)  “is that the title?” “What’s it about?”  I am in one of the most liberal stores I could possibly be and they are telling me they have no idea what it is?! So I told them oh its just written by our founding fathers about how the government was to be designed and outlined the constitution nothing that’s real important today. No wonder the government is how it is today.
Eventually we discovered that it was in the history section and as I was looking at all the history books I started to become excited about everything. And I was thinking… “Wouldn’t it be cool to learn and go though history and then read about major events?!” For example I would probably start at the revolution and I would have to read the constitution and I would read the federalists papers and then I would read a biography about George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, Benjamin Franklin, and just specialize in these characters and events. I would continue on and then I would read about Andrew Jackson, Andrew Carnegie, The Teapot Dome scandal and just specialize in each aspect that has shaped America. So I am going to try. I would like to do it chronologically but I think I would get bored and feel trapped with those rules and end up falling short… way short. So I am just going to read as I go. Franklin and I have so many books so so so many. We have one about George Washington, Andrew Carnegie, Franklin and I both have lots of war novels. We have Undaunted courage about Lewis and Clark. So I will just work my way though them buying more when I see them on sale and such. Could it be so bad spending lots of money on books???? 

2 comments:

  1. I shake my head in agony at the decline of western society. I bet you they can sing the McDonald's commercial song or tell you all about the new Ipod.

    Don't forget to read "The people's history of the United States" by Howard Zinn.

    L. Durand

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it and I have read a little bit but for some reason I stopped and jumped to a new book. I will have to go back to it.

    ReplyDelete