April 21, 2010

I can't think of a clever, witty title..

Have you ever held something so gently and so carefully that if you were to move hastily or hold too tightly that it would disintegrate into pieces. I decided to make a run to an old time bookstore on main street and I was looking for a copy of the Federalist (but they were a little too expensive) and I found an almost 100 year old copy of the Constitution/Declaration of Independence/ The Ordinance of 1787/ and the articles of confederation combo book. I felt so sad because most Americans don't even know what is in the constitution. I just kept thinking of a project we did for government class. We took a amendment out of the constitution and had people sign it as if we wanted to pass it today. No body could identify that it was already a law and something that already defined our country for a few hundred years. only a small minority would get suspicious and say, "don't we already have something like this?" and only a very very small minority could actually place what its from. So fighting off ignorance I bought it and read it very carefully. HA! the only upsetting part is that it is so old that the amendments end at Woman's Suffrage (1920 ish). I just feel as if this isn't important to people anymore. I almost felt like Eli in "The Book of Eli" except I had the last copy the constitution. I hope that people have that spark in them to read and to learn more about their rights and what these men put up on the line to ensure that we had life, liberty and property. (note I say property and not the pursuit of happiness, because it was originally suppose to be property but they did not want to cause a rift between the states due to the slavery issue) Touche.

Franklin and I are almost done with this babysitting(minus the babies) gig. I am tired its hard to not be in your own house and waking up at 6 with not your own kids. I am excited though Franklin got a motorcycle. He was kinda browsing craigslist and looked it up and it was only 300 bucks and very nice. Franklin told me that he would get this one and I told him to get it... he was like "really?....really?" haha he was so excited though. He works so hard, he deserves something he really wants. Staying "home" all day pretty much sucks... PS.

I need to run around or something. The not eating so badly isn't too too too difficult it just needs lots of restraint. The hardest part is the running around and exercising.



"It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."  Theodore Roosevelt 

No comments:

Post a Comment